Okay, don’t freak out. Yes, it’s a vegetarian café. No, you don’t miss the meat. Long-time favourite of friend C, SAC opened in Heaton in 2002, offering a variety of filled breads, vegetarian favourites such as quesadillas ,and ‘volcanoes‘- think towering stacks of baked tortilla encasing cheesy, beany, gooey sweet potatoey deliciousness (shaped like a volcano, duh).
At night, the café transforms into something a little more elegant. The lights dim and candles are placed out on the tables, creating a homely environment in this family-run establishment.
Providing a varied seasonal menu and a very reasonable (and well-selected) wine list, this is the perfect retreat for a first date. It’s also worth mentioning that they do a ‘heat and eat’ service, where you can take your food away and heat it at home (to great results). I haven’t done this yet, but friend M recommends it.
You just can’t beat the atmosphere; small silver and white decorations dangling from the ceiling, the murmur and tinkle of happy customers and the pale blue walls painted with fluffy clouds mean you just can’t help but crack a smile. And then there’s the food…
- The breakfast burrito- gooey, sinful deliciousness, wrapped up and griddled for your convenience
- A cake and a cuppa- the moment you walk in, you’ll see why. The cakes are luscious, creamy delights that (I swear) keep looking at you from across the room.
- Volcano- just do it. If you’re a first-timer, definitely do it.
- Battered halloumi and chips. This has to be seen to be believed. I would never order this until I watched someone else eat it with relish and vigour.
- Sky Apple Classic vegetarian burger. I was veggie for around 5 years in my teens, and have always had a soft spot for a really good veggie burger. This one is flavoursome and rich-textured.
As they change their evening menu seasonally, I haven’t had a chance to check out their April/May one yet, but you can bet I’ll be updating this post when I have. If anyone beats me to it, drop me a message in the comments.
Food – 8/10
Service – 7/10
Atmosphere – 8/10
Value – 8/10
Average – 8/10
Peace and halloumi,